Dropped an EMG 35DC into the Jazzuar. now she’s rocking even hard and active.
Photo with 2 notes
The current evolution of the Jazz-uar. Next step is an active EMG 35DC (in the post now).
Photo with 3 notes
After a year or so of moth-balling and some time to mature with age, this project is now in a playable state. Yay productivity! Just need to get some strings on it now.
It’s in no way finished. I want to get a new Seymour Duncan pickup in there and some pre-amping (at the moment there is the stock p-up and some left over controls out of an old p-bass), and maybe a sand and paint… again.
But this is a start, I’ll find out if I’ve waisted my time and money on this thing.
Post with 92 notes
For those of us that do remember my jag bass project I started some 12ish months ago, I finally got around to doing some more to it today after 6 months of idle hand sitting.
Got out the old paint stripper, never used the stuff before so I thought I would give it ago before taking in some bigger projects with it. Lets just say it lets me with a unique look and a new direction.
After my first couple of test coast of the stripper, I wasn’t giving it enough time before trying to get the paint off. I know now.
I was thinking ‘This looks kinda cool, in a destroyed punk kind of way’. so I kept going.
And this is what it looks like now. got though to some of the wood in the middle there, which is cool. Sadly it’s such a bad photo, I was using my phone as my camera is at my place (I am working at my dad’s house, he has more tools then me, and more space). It’s a little brighter, not as washed out. I am going to let the remaining paint dry up and give it a good cleaning, maybe do some sanding on the back (for some reason it’s really sticky, as if it hadn’t finished drying after 6 months :S), and see if I still like it then. I might keep it this way, if just for now, and finish this build with a new bass in my collection.
I have nearly all the bits I need to finish this build, I just need to get a pick-up and the electrics. Looking at Seymore Duncans with a Musicman EQ. This bass is going to rock.
Post with 2 notes
After fixing one ding and then causing another I finally have the back ready to clear coat. I have sprayed a light coat on and then I notice all this dust that has ended up in the clear, not cool, especially after I cleaned all the dust from the surface before painting. What is even worse then that is I then noticed the paint on the front of the bass has started to turn a yellow colour. I don’t know why, but I am going to have to wait till this clear dries before I can assess all the damage. Worst case, I strip the whole thing back and start again.
Post with 1 note
Just thought I would get a list of all the money I have sent so far on this project.
Body, pick guard & rear cover plate = $198.94 AUD
Neck = $178.78 AUD
Tuners & string tree = $42.80 AUD
Bridge = $55.83 AUD
Neck plate & screws = $6.49 AUD
Paint & supplies = aprox $40 AUD
Total = $522.84 AUD
While to buy the bass this is based on at a store would cost $319, I’ve over shot the ‘cheaper then’ section so I guess I’ll have to settle for the ‘better then’ tag. Still have a pickup and electronics to go.
As more and more bass parts arrive, I can’t move on till I get the body paint finished. I put a coat of clear on the other day, It looks pretty good on the half I painted but a little bug got stuck in the finish so I had to sand a small spot back. I’ll repaint that shortly. While sanding the bug spot I banged the finish on the back. I tried to touch it up and the paint ran. now I have to sand it back and paint it again.
Perfection is time consuming.
But soon it’ll be done and it’ll look great.
Post with 6 notes
Alright, got some more done with me Jaguar bass project. The tuners I ordered off ebay from the UK arrived today. It is so hard to find left handed black tuners. Looking at them and comparing them to the tuners on my P-bass (which have the same style clover tuners) it looks like you can just take them apart and swap the peg around making them lefties, which would have been good to know earlier but I guess it’s a learning curve.
I ordered a black string tree too, to help complete the look. It would look odd having a chrome tree with all the rest of the hardware black. That was an easy install, looks good too.
The tuners on the other hand are not that easy to install. It looks like the original squier tuners have a different screw spacing then the ones I have. I don’t know if it’s the ones I have or if squier just use their own sized pegs. The pegs that I bought said ‘for P bass and Musicman basses,’ I didn’t think P and J basses had different sized tuners, seems strange. I can get one of the wholes to like up alight but all the others are out, so I am going to have to drill new pilots, I’ll use this whole to keep them all looking straight.
I don’t know whether I should paint the face of the head stock along with the body. It might look weird, but I think most of the fender jaguars have a painted face too.
What do you guys think?
Post with 3 notes
Ok, I’ve been a bit slack on this build so far, it’s been wet and rainy over the last week so I’m taking it slow.
Sanded back the body not to the wood but just through the clear coat.
The neck arrived and they are looking great together. the neck plat arrived too, but the is just a mock up.
I don’t know if this little ding was on the neck when it came or if I did it, there a one on the black binding too so I am thinking it came like that… which is a little bit of a let down, but I am sure when it’s all finished and assembled I am hardly going to notice them.
First coat of Undercoat.
After a second layer of undercoat, I started to paint on the gloss white top coat. Just drying here away from the rain. It’s starting to look good, can’t wait till I’m finished.
Page 1 of 2